Thursday, June 22, 2006

we are rolling

Medeski, Martin & Wood - We Are Rolling



Medeski, Martin & Wood - Is There Anybody Here That Love My Jesus



I always wanted to hear a Hammond organ being kicked down the stairs and "We Are Rolling" is about as close as I'm going to get. The first time I heard this was on a listening post in a record shop, and it made me grin like a slobbering loon for all of it's 7+ minutes. If you have chance to have a headphone listen yourself I'd recommend it, it's pretty intense!

It's great to hear John Medeski take the Hammond Organ (and his armoury of ancient keyboards) far away from jazz-lite territory and it's really exhilarating to hear them take flight with such abandon. It's like they started the tape with no plan and hit it from the off. I also love the fact that MMW put "We Are Rolling" as Track 1 on their 2000 album "The Dropper". It's a real statement of intent from a band who's members have previously played with groups like The Lounge Lizards, John Zorn's Masada, and Marc Ribot's Shrek.

"The Dropper" didn't go down that well with fans who had grown to love their earlier, less-spiky Hammond-led stuff and the band themselves have subsequently distanced themselves from the outer reaches they were charting here - a real shame, in my opinion.

"Is There Anybody Here That Love My Jesus" is from the 1996 "Shack Man" album and is a skronky, angular-iffic take on an old spiritual. This is great stuff - love the nasal keyboards and filthy groove. Testify!

Visit - MMW.net
Buy - The Dropper
Buy - Shack Man

No comments: