Monday, May 09, 2005

trance nation

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Rahway Wasadi Jhok Faridan Di



Apologies... if a ten minute song consisting of someone singing in a language you don’t understand to minimal musical backing does not automatically rock your boat. (World Music is a dirty word, cultural tourism etc... I've heard it all before and I don’t care. It’s MUSIC! If you are tragically blinkered in your outlook then it’s your loss.) Normal service will resume presently...

Why is this worth listening to?

This is soul music, the sound of a man doing ecstatic vocal gymnastics in heaven. This is a trance-beat slip road to a higher state of consciousness. It leaves my head spinning and my adrenaline pumping. It makes me wonder at the capabilities of the human voice. It convinces me that ‘call and response’ vocal lines are a good thing -we need more of them!

In the end, I literally don’t understand a word of it, but I think I kind of get it.

This track is taken from a great compilation of Sufi music in the Rough Guide series - buy it here.

Also, you can find out more about the great man himself here.

No comments: