Monday, August 08, 2005

madness in his method

Double Seven by The Upsetters

This is a totally bonkers album. It is 1974 and Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry is experimenting with synthesisers (an ARP 2600 and a Mini Moog)and eating far too much K F C for his own good - as immortalised in the opening song. Check out frying sizzle at the start, along with some other seriously bizarre sounds he has thrown into this great track.

Kentucky Skank - The Upsetters
Another highlight for me is the following pop gem, ( originally done by the Chi-Lites, fact fans!) with a tight, soulful sound.

We Are Neighbours - David Isaacs

This morning on of our neighbours woke us up with Madonna’s ‘Papa Don’t Preach’ at 5 am. Maybe I should point my speakers out of my window and enter into the ‘sound clash’ spirit. I would probably choose this album to pump out in his direction across the neighbourhood. The bass would carry brilliantly and the freakish nature of the songs and production would be sufficiently irritating to drive my foe to distraction.

Alternatively, I could go round and beat him senseless with his shit record collection.

Stay tuned to see which option I plump for.

Buy Double Seven

No comments: