Thursday, May 25, 2006

you remind me of the babe...

Oh my goodness, look at the hair. Just be thankful on this picture you can't really see that he's wearing the tightest trousers in Christendom. Careful Dave, you'll have someone's eye out.

David Bowie - Magic Dance (from the 'Labyrinth' soundtrack)



I only saw Labyrinth for the first time a few years ago – I enjoyed it but it's a no-brainer, really. My love for all things Henson is well documented and David Bowie is The Don, a truly great artist who is still super cool. Labyrinth and the accompanying soundtrack are not exactly the high-point of his career, but I like the fact that he did it - knowing that people were going to take the piss.

If you can get to the end of Magic Dance without seeing how long there is left, you're made of stronger stuff than I. However, do try to stick around for the truly bizarre solo.

Obviously I was never going to post just that track, was I? In wanting to redress the balance I turned to one of my favourites of his albums, Pin Ups.

David Bowie - Port Of Amsterdam (Jacques Brel cover)


David Bowie - Growin' Up (Bruce Springsteen cover)



Port Of Amsterdam was used on the b-side of Sorrow. Between this and Magic Dance you pretty much get his entire artistic journey - from bisexual, Brel-lovin', mime-artist to family-friendly wizard in two easy stages.

I love Growin' Up because Pin Ups (this track is an outtake from the sessions) really sounds like Bowie's having a blast doing covers of some of his favourite tracks - this is nice and loose.

These are from an old EMI CD release of the album, and they seem to be pretty hard to track down. If anyone knows any better, let me know and I’ll add them to the list below – thanks!

If you don't at least own Bowie’s 1970’s releases, then run – DON’T WALK! - to a record shop NOW.

Buy - David Bowie CDs
Buy - Labyrinth DVD
Buy - Labyrinth OST
Buy - Pin Ups (Ryko CD re-issue - the only place I can find those extra "Pin Ups" tracks)
Visit - BowieNet
Visit - Jim Henson at Henson.com

No comments: